Thursday, May 1, 2008

My Dream Arcade NES Mini-Computer - Part 5: Software


The computer runs Windows XP, with the following programs:

GameEx - Front end to run all the emulators
http://www.gameex.net/
This is an amazing, amazing program that is crazy customizable. It has the ability to remove signs of Windows and load straight to its menu which looks awesome. It has a series of menus where you select what system you want to play, and what game. It supports video previews of games, has an audio player, and dvd player. The GameEx website has some great resources, including snapshots of games, video previews of games, themes and a great forum for helping you get setup. It's awesome.



Here is a video of GameEx in action. This isn't my system, just a demo the programmer posted.




Emulators:
MAME32 (Arcade)
Fusion (Sega Genesis)
Project64 (N64)
Nestopia (NES)
SNES9x (SNES)
http://www.emulator-zone.com/

Xpadder
Allows you to map keyboard keys or mouse controls to game controllers. It allows me to use my wireless gamepad as a mouse, and to enter keystrokes used in different emulators. (MAME especially requires you to hit certain keys to emulate adding quarters, or hitting the player 1 or 2 start buttons). With Xpadder, I can use the system without a keyboard. For instance, I have mapped a button on my keypad to the number "1" key on the keyboard (actually I hold one button and then press another). That's the key that MAME recognizes as hitting the "player 1" button on an arcade machine. I can press the button on my keypad to start the game. By setting up Xpadder to map all the keys I need to use in games I can run the system without a keyboard.
http://xpadder.com/

Click-N-Type
http://www.lakefolks.org/cnt/
A nice on-screen keyboard. Since I don't have a keyboard connected to the computer, if I ever have to type anything, I can use the gamepad as a mouse to peck letters on the on-screen keyboard. This is helpful when tweaking settings, or entering a URL in firefox.

Speedfan
http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php
Some people who read this blog told me I should be worried more about heat. Apparently, it can be a serious problem. It turns out that Hard Drives and CPUs have a built in temperature sensor. Speedfan is a program that accesses this sensor and tells you how hot your machine is getting. It can then control fans, ring alarms, or shut down your system in response

Windvd
http://apps.corel.com/lp/ivi/index.html
I wasn't able to get a dvd player to fit in the case, but I can rip DVDs to the hard drive, or connect an external dvd drive via USB. I use WinDVD to view the movies. I set up WinDVD like an emulator in GameEx. I can navigate to a menu of movies and select one. GameEx then loads WinDVD which plays the movie. When I close WinDVD, the screen goes back to the GameEx menu. GameEx has it's own native DVD player, but I couldn't get it to play movies in surround-sound. WinDVD supports the SPDIF optical out, and I can use it to watch movies in surround sound.


FireFox, iTunes and whatever the hell else I want:
Apart from emulating games, this is a fully functional computer with respectable horsepower. Because it's hooked up to my TV and stereo its useful for watching videos, playing movies, etc. The other day I went to the NBC website in firefox and watched an episode of 30 rock that looked pretty good.

Part 6: Finished!

No comments:

Post a Comment