Monday, May 5, 2008

My Dream Arcade NES Mini-Computer - Part 3: Modifications to the Case



I used an ice-pick-like attachment to my screw driver to grind down a seam in this black plastic cover thing. I ground it down enough to where the front was no longer connected to the back.





I then pried the front piece loose. (This pic is actually the back of the NES, which has the same black cover. I removed it on the practice case, but decided not to on the final version. I forgot to take a pic of the me prying off the front)





I totally separated the piece from the case. I can now use this piece as a cover to this little section of the box. Stealing this design (http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1638952,00.asp), I'm going to add USB ports here, then hide them under the cover.





I found a tiny little hinge at a hobby/model shop.






I drilled 2 holes in the case, and then widened them with this stone attachment. I made the holes just big enough to fit a USB port.



Another modification I had to make was to the controller port. The original port isn't a full rectangle. The top right corner has a fancy angle to it.The NES to USB adapter is a full rounded rectangle, so I used the dremel to make the controller hole bigger.





Original hole on the right...the one I modified on the left.





NES to USB controller adapter fits well in the expanded hole.






This is a picture of the original power and reset buttons. I replaced them with a more modern version. I've seen from other people's projects that it is possible to use these buttons to work with the computer. It requires soldering which I will likely F up, but I'm going to try to do it. I want to use the power button to turn the thing on and off, and the reset button to open the dvd drive. The original power button stays in when you press it, which is no good for a computer power switch. It's easy to change it to not stick in by removing a little pin. In the picture above you can see a little metal bit on the power button (on the left) that's not on the reset button. Following instructions from other sites, I removed that piece with pliers, but the power button still stuck in. There's a little pin that sits under that metal piece that has to be removed. I fashioned a hook out of a paper clip and yoinked that little pin out of there. Now the power button does not stay depressed, it works just like the reset button. As you can see, I do my best work in boxers (also with random 20 doller bills laying around).


Part 4: Adding Components



No comments:

Post a Comment